Kometa is an open-air culture and music festival that takes place on the island of Daugavgriva Fortress in Riga, Latvia on 27th – 29th of July. With live music from various corners of the Earth, DJ sets, contemporary circus, cinema, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and performances, Kometa is a unique and vibrant three-day event that embraces diversity and leaves long-term traces in its participants, by inviting and encouraging to practice freedom to think, choose, connect, create and participate. Freedom from advertisements, slogans or hidden agendas. Freedom to transform. Kometa is a cosmic culture festival which shows that music, art and humans coexist in harmony with one another and Mother Earth.
The overarching theme of Kometa 2018 is Participation. This year our program will have a focus on artistic and cultural processes that encourage collaboration, self-organization and formation of new initiatives.
On Sundays, the festival is traditionally open free of charge to all and in particular to the local communities, seniors and families with children.
KEY PRINCIPLES OF KOMETA
We dare to think that humans can be more than consumers and polluters of this planet and we want to learn from nature where everything is in harmony and balance, so we are creating festival Kometa in line with the following principles :
Taking care and responsibility for the historical fortress
– Each year Kometians together with the activists from Bolderaja Group and many volunteers organize several work sessions and clean-up days to preserve the fortress and tidy up the territory.
– Caring for the historical surroundings and the freedom of our visitors and ourselves, Kometa festival is free of advertising. When was the last time you did not see any ads for three days?
Reducing waste at the source
– We are avoiding to create waste as much as possible and are sorting what we do create.
– We try to avoid disposable plastic in the festival. So there is no bottled water for sale, but since we also believe that availability of drinking water is an essential human right, we provide free drinking water to fill in your own container such as a reusable bottle or a cup borrowed from Kometa dish library.
– Yes, the dish library – to reduce the amount of disposable tableware we have a beautiful dish library – borrow a plate, cutlery, have some food, wash it and put it back.
– How to make our ecological footprint smaller? We encourage everyone to come by public transport or share a car with friends and family.
– Kometa’s infrastructure (stages, toilets, showers, etc.) are built as much as possible from recycled and/or donated materials so it can be used for other events organized by local community, as well as facilitate the construction of next Kometa festivals.
Ecology of mind starts from the stomach.
– We try to provide organic, local and seasonal food at the festival. Because food production has become one of the greatest contributors to environmental pollution.
– Kometa is meat-free, because livestock production has one of the biggest impacts on the planet and environment. We invite Kometians to try the meat-free diet for at least the three days and cooperate with amazing collectives and restaurants that cook delicious vegetarian and vegan meals, so you are happy and fed while doing that.
We believe that together we create Kometa to become something more than a festival – ritual of freedom, a Comet for travelling the earth and dreaming of a new world. Let’s gather to party-cipate!